Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A Love-Hate Relationship

For as long as I can remember I have always loved watching the 19 Kids and Counting TV series. The series is about the Duggar family. There are 19 kids in the family. The family has some great values and it is fascinating to see how a family that large functions. However, recently I have had a love-hate relationship with the show. I love all of it except one thing. I absolutely hate it and cringe anytime they tell their kids who are getting married to go and multiply and replenish. In many of the episodes leading up to two of their daughters getting married, this phrase is repeated so many times. I cringe hearing the phrase each and every time.

1 in 8 couples are affected by infertility. Chances are with 19 kids, 2 or more of the children will have issues with infertility. I cringe to think that someone who is facing infertility could be being told and pressured into having kids. Sure, at first it is innocent fun. That is naturally the question and topic that comes up after the marriage. However, it could quickly turn into a very hurtful phrase. I can't imagine being a Duggar and facing infertility.

It is hard to realize what things are hurtful and what things aren't when you haven't experienced infertility, and I understand that is how it is with their situation. I just hope that some of those phrases won't come back and be something they regret saying to some of the ones that are getting married. You just never know when something that seems so innocent to someone could also be very hurtful to someone else.

I was just thinking about this situation as I was watching Jessa Duggar's wedding. I then also remembered that tomorrow is April Fools day. I hope everyone out there is able to remember this as tomorrow approaches. I don't think a year has went by when I haven't seen fake pregnancy announcements on April Fools day. Even though this may seem like an innocent joke, it can be very hurtful for those who are experiencing infertility or pregnancy loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment