Tuesday, November 5, 2013

IUI #3 Rollercoaster

Today was the day for IUI #3. This time it took about an hour and a half. Yep, that is right, an hour and a half for what should have been a five minute procedure. I went in to the office and got all signed in. There was a staff meeting so they were running behind from that, but they took me to the egg retrieval room for IVF patients. It was weird being in a different room and one with a lot of machines and gadgets. I was just hoping that was not a sign for what is to come. The nurse practitioner came in and she was really nice. She said that Taylor's count was amazing. She tried the first time but couldn't get the procedure done. So out came that speculum and in went another. This same procedure went on for three times and it was extremely painful. I could tell she was a little frustrated with it not working. She kept saying she has done tens of thousands of these and has never had such a hard time. She said she would get it though because she told me, "You ARE getting pregnant this time". Her outlook on it all made me pretty hopeful. After so many tries she finally asked if it would be ok to let Dr. Gurtcheff have a try. I told her that was fine so she went and got the doctor and her come in. This is first time I have seen Dr. Gurtcheff and she was really nice. The nurse practitioner came back with her and sat by me and rubbed my arm as tears streamed down my face from all of the pain. I was just expecting Dr. Gurtcheff to come back but it was nice of the nurse practitioner to come back as well. I know she was really worried and concerned about me and the procedure. It was really nice of her to try to comfort me through it all especially since Taylor couldn't be there again.

After two tries Dr. Gurtcheff was able to get the catheter in and the IUI was completed. They both felt really bad that it took so many tries to get it done and that it was so painful. With each IUI the actual procedure has become harder and harder for them to do. While Dr. Gurtcheff was in the room she said, "Even though you are obviously so tough, it will be a good idea to see Dr. Foulk again if this one doesn't work". We knew we would be stopping after this try anyway because that is what they usually recommend. They usually like to do three tries then re-evaluate everything and try other options. She said that I was one of the toughest patients she has seen being able to endure so much today but I certainly didn't feel tough.

I will have my blood test in a few weeks to see what the results of this cycle are. We also set up an appointment to meet with Dr. Foulk in December just in case its a negative again. If we do get our miracle this time then we will just cancel the appointment but he is really hard to get into so we wanted to get the appointment in advance.

So now the last IUI is completed and it's completely in Heavenly Father's hands. I am hoping and praying with everything that I have, that this will be our miracle cycle. I had a comment from someone saying I have been really pessimistic talking about what will happen if this cycle is negative. I didn't mean it to come across that way. I just like to prepare for what may be coming. Even though I am making a plan ahead of time and thinking about all scenarios, I really am hopeful that this may be the time we get our baby. Either way I have complete faith that things will work out according to Heavenly Father's plan.

1 comment:

  1. Waiting for a baby is so so so hard. I appreciated reading your last couple of sentences. That attitude of hope and faith will help with all that comes your way in life. We're thinking of you and praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete