Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Laproscopic Surgery

I have been reading a lot about people having laproscopic surgeries lately so I thought I would share my experience with mine. I had never had surgery before and I really didn't know what to expect with the whole thing.

When I went to my doctor appointment the end of April it was decided that surgery would be the best option at that point for me. I was really nervous about it but I was also excited because it was taking another step forward to try to figure out why we still have not been able to get pregnant. Surgery was scheduled for May 16th. I had a pre-op appointment to go over everything and sign papers and get all my instructions.

Starting 3 days before surgery I was put on a low fiber diet. I couldn't eat any fresh fruits or vegetables. The day before surgery I could only have clear liquids. I was so hungry all day, and on top of it I had to drink magnesium citrate to do a cleansing. I was literally up all night in the bathroom.

The day of surgery I went and checked in at the hospital. Everything went really fast. I didn't have much waiting around. They placed the IV, then talked to the anesthesiologist and the doctor then I was wheeled to the OR. I don't remember much after that.

When I woke up they gave me water bits at a time so I hopefully wouldn't get very sick. I felt fine and the pain wasn't bad until I got up to go home. As soon as I stood up to get dressed and was sitting in the wheelchair I started to have really bad shoulder pain. That was because when they do the surgery they fill your abdomen up with gas and they can't get it all out so it all rises to your shoulders. It was really bad pain and it made the drive home horrible. When I was able to lay down and keep moving side to side it would go away a little bit. The shoulder pain lasted about three days.

My surgery results came back that everything was perfect as far as the doctor could see. It was frustrating because we were almost hoping something would be found wrong so we could fix it. However, we still don't have a reason why we haven't been able to get pregnant. Its good to have a clean bill of health but we still really want answers. Even though the surgery didn't give us a reason to our problems, I am still happy I did the surgery because it eliminated a lot of things that we now know are not our issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment